I have a problem— that is a shopping problem when it comes to buying makeup or skin care products. I always come out of Sephora with something at hand causing me to hoard and try on a million different products. While it’s fun to try on new products, I always end up only using a few for my daily skin routine.
My skin is really sensitive, so I think that’s why I stick to only certain products that I know suit my skin. Because I have sensitive skin, I always make sure that the products I use are gentle and do not contain any alcohol or fragrance. Skincare products containing alcohol actually dries out the skin while products containing fragrance have the tendency of irritating the skin. Today, I’m going to share my daily skincare routine that has transformed my acne prone dry skin.
Skincare Routine in the morning:
- First, I’m going to start by cleansing my face with the Instant Foaming Cleanser by Caudalie. Choosing the right cleanser for your skin is essential; cleansers can either make or break your skin routine. This foaming cleanser from Caudalie is very gentle and soothing on my skin. It strips off all the dirt, but still leaves my skin feeling moisturized. Another cleanser that I would recommend using is the Soy Face Cleanser from Fresh. This product cleanses better if you also want to get rid of your make up. I have a combination of oily and dry skin and under the cold weather, my skin tends to dry up more. When this happens, the Soy Face Cleanser isn’t as moisturizing for me. So, I tend to go for a more gentle foaming face wash.
- After cleansing your face, a toner should be your second step. I personally love the Rose Deep Hydration Facial Toner by Fresh. This toner comes in a pretty transparent bottle adorned with a metallic pink cap where you can see the real drenched rose petals infused in the toner. This toner gets rid of impurities as it tones down pores and deeply hydrates the skin for that healthy-looking and soft complexion. You can use a cotton pad to apply the product, but I prefer using my fingertips and dabbing it all over my face and neck for more hydration.
- I follow the toner with an essence. Essence is widely known as the heart of the Korean skincare routine. There is a craze on everything about Korean beauty and we all want to keep up with the latest K-beauty products. According to Charlotte Cho, co-founder of Soko Glam, Essence was created in Korea.
So, what is it exactly? An essence is not a toner nor a serum, even though it often gets mistaken for it. Essense is meant for optimal results as it is meant to deliver higher doses of active ingredients for a more hydrated and radiant complexion that improves the foundation of the skin in the longterm .
For more information on what an Essense is, read the article below:
My go to essence is the Essential Correcting Refiner from Clé De Peau. I put it onto my face by patting the essence all over and then pressing it onto various areas of my face for three seconds in each area.
- I wake up with a very puffy face, so my eyes like to swell in the morning. To de-puff my eyes, I use the Lotus Eye Gel from Fresh. It cools my eyes with cooling cucumber extract. I gently apply it on my upper lid and under my eyes.
- As mentioned before, I have a combination of dry and oily skin. So, it’s important that I keep my skin very hydrated. People have the misperception that oil hydrates your skin. It does not. In fact, oily skin is actually very dehydrated. To boost the hydration to my skin, I apply the Hungarian Water Essence from Belif. It claims to contain 98% aqua-based formulation and to increase hydration level by 20%.
- Then comes the moisturizer! I’ve tried on a lot of moisturizers, some of which were too moisturizing and some of which were not moisturizing enough. It’s so difficult to find a moisturizer that hydrates my skin well without causing a breakout. My friend recently recommended The True Cream- Aqua Bomb from Belif which has been my go to moisturizer for both morning and night. It’s a very hydrating, but gentle moisturizer that has a non-sticky, light and refreshing feel to it.
- Last but not least, I put on sunscreen to protect my skin from the sun. My favorite sun screen is the Kate Somerville Daily Deflector™ Waterlight Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ PA+++ Anti-Aging Sunscreen. It has a very lightweight and watertight formula that doesn’t leave a sticky feel to your skin after application. You can even blend it with your foundation before application.
Skincare Routine in the evening:
For my nighttime skincare routine, I use all the same products in the same order from my morning skincare routine without putting on the sunscreen. However, as your skin replenishes while you’re asleep at nighttime, it is much more important to cleanse your face at night.
- To get rid of all the make up, I use the Bioderma make-up removing wipes for sensitive skin before I use the foaming cleanser.
- After cleansing my face, I exfoliate twice a week at nighttime before I apply any products to my face. I exfoliate with the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Gentle Exfoliating Treatment. I love that the texture of this exfoliator is not too abrasive or rough on my sensitive skin. I put on a thin layer to my clean and wet face before massaging it in a circular motion for a good amount of time to clean all my clogged pores. Afterwards, I leave the product on my face for 3 minutes before washing it all off.
I know it seems tiring and too much of a hassle to put on layers and layers of products on your skin. I myself am a lazy beauty junkie, I like things easy and fast. Especially at night, when you're so tired after a whole day of work or school and you just want to jump into bed. However, after endlessly searching for the best product that will magically transform my skin, I've learned that it is important to follow the necessary steps.
The first step to making your way to having a better skin is knowing your skin type/ skin condition. Make sure you know the essential nutrients or treatments your skin needs.